Thursday, November 13, 2008

Gut Check

I was online the other day and I noticed this advertisement at the top of my computer screen. All I could think was, Really? and How did they know my age?

Do either of these women look overweight to you? Is that supposed to be a woman pinching fat? I see skin, but I damn sure don't see any fat! Am I missing something, or is this as ridiculous as it looks?



***Follow-Up Post***

OK, I have another theory on the advertisement above. Is the woman on the left hiding her stomach with her hands because she feels she is overweight, and is the woman on the right pinching her skin to show off the fact that she has no fat (presumably because she used whatever magic beans the ad is promoting)? Is it one of those "flab to fab" ads? This still totally bothers me, because clearly the woman on the left is not overweight.

4 comments:

The Mad Bass Player November 16, 2008 at 1:09 AM  

Here’s my theory. It took me a minute to notice this but as I contemplated your “flab to fab” theory I noticed something. First of all I agree neither of these women is fat. As I looked at the picture on the right I concluded she was certainly pinching “less than an inch” to show off her thin physique. Then I glanced over the picture on the left. She’s obviously not fat either, but why is she covering her stomach? Now look at the picture again. Notice her hands are forming the shape of a heart. She loves her new thin physique! I believe both pictures are showing women who are extremely satisfied with the results of the magic beans. No before and afters. We only get to see the wonderfulness of the after.
The powers of advertising…

Melinda November 16, 2008 at 6:42 PM  

You're probably right. I noticed that the woman on the left was forming a heart with her hands, but for some reason didn't interpret it to mean that she was happy. But that is the most likely explanation. Don't know why this ad has held my attention so long...

Elmore Photography & Design November 26, 2008 at 2:55 PM  

Did you get this ad off of myspace or facebook? If so, they knew your age by your information entered on the page.. it's creepy all the things advertisers can do with personalization!

As a side note: hope you and your family has a great thanksgiving! tell everyone I said hi! :)

  © Free Blogger Templates Blogger Theme by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP